Greek Plate with Flagship Georgios Averof – Commemorative Greece Pottery 20th

Greece 20th - Private Collection Athens Greece

Plate with the Greek warship Georgios Averof, from the faiences of Creil and Montereau (Picardie Region of Northern France, early 20th century). Georgios Averof (Greek: Θ/Κ Γεώργιος Αβέρωφ) is an armored cruiser which served as the flagship of the Royal Hellenic Navy during most of the first half of the 20th Century. The ship was built in 1910 at Orlando Shipyards (Livorno Italy) and most of the construction cost was paid by a wealthy Greek benefactor, George Averoff, whose name the warship received. In the Balkan Wars, Averof, served as the flagship of the fleet, and took part in victorious naval battles against the Ottoman Navy and in the liberation of the islands of the northern and eastern Aegean. For these reasons the warship Averof is an emblem of victory for the Greeks and thousands of dishes were ordered in French faience workshops for the Greek houses. From 1984 to this day, Averof is anchored in Faliron Bay in Athens functioning as a floating museum. On the plate is written “Battleship Averof – The glory of Greece”.

This entry was posted in Commemorative, Greek Ceramics. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *